I know that New Year's Resolutions nowadays don't really matter. As what many people say, we have everyday to change and become a better person. Hence, why is it supposed to be during the New Year that we start to change? Personally, I like New Year's resolutions because it gives me hope - hope that I can change and hope that I can do better this year. While last year may not be the best of all years for me, that won't stop me from setting new goals and resolutions that I am very much determined to keep and achieve this year. Even if the universe won't conspire to help me achieve these goals, I believe that my fate is in my hands. Therefore, I have the power to create my future and be my own destiny.
The reason why I am writing my New Year's resolutions here is so I can keep track. I need to tell people what my goals are and what I want to achieve so I am constantly reminded. Plus, writing this to the public will give the pressure I need to keep these resolutions and achieve my goals.
This year, I dedicate it to more travel, learning new things, and becoming healthier.
- Save at least 30% of my monthly income - I don't earn much but I am a good spender. Sometimes I already find my credit card statement funny because I have no idea that I am quite a good spender. Therefore, this year, I will save at least 30% of my monthly income for future endeavors.
- Go shopping only during sales - as I said, I am quite a good spender. I go shopping on a whim and whenever I see something that I like, I don't usually hesitate and just buy it. I normally pay full price which is oftentimes burdensome for my wallet because as I said, I don't earn much. Therefore, this year, I will only go shopping if I need to and only go shopping during sales if I want to.
- Spend only 30% of my monthly income for shopping - because I want to travel more this year, I will set a goal of spending only 30% of my monthly income for shopping.
- Quality vs. Quantity - sometimes I spend way too much money shopping for clothes that end up being bad purchases. Either they bleed and discolor my other clothes, have a lot of holes in them, and the material sheds or easily deteriorates. This year, I will make better and wiser purchases. I don't need more clothes anyway because I have a lot that still have their price tags on. I will make sure that the quality of the clothes I will purchase are worth it. Quality may be ambiguous so my standards would be: no loose threads, no holes, doesn't look like it will bleed, soft and comfortable fabric. This does not mean I will buy designer and high street brands because I can only afford those during sales. What this means is checking quality before purchasing instead of worrying how many clothes I have purchased already.
HEALTH AND FITNESS
- Workout 3x a week - I need to workout not because I want to lose weight but because I want to become healthier. I sit in front of my laptop the whole day because of my work. Moreover, I work at home so I hardly walk at all each day. I need to workout to keep my body moving and become healthier. I will do this three times a week every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- Eat one apple a day for breakfast -in line with keeping a healthier body, I will eat one apple each day during breakfast to keep the doctor away. Aside from that, according to one of my favorite Korean actors, an apple a day has kept his face clear and softer. So, aside from having a healthier body, this will also help me maintain a healthier skin.
- Refrain from sweets - some of you may still remember that I am quite a baker. I love baking breads and pastries. Whenever I am craving for something sweet, I will send a message to my mom and ask her to buy me some ingredients and I will bake when she gets home. But we all know that eating too much sweets is not good for the body. I am trying to divert my sweet cravings these days to fruits instead which are definitely a healthier alternative.
- Travel more - I have already planned quite a few vacation trips this year both local and international. This is also partly why I want to save more this year so my friends and I can push through with these vacations. Plus, I need this after working non-stop last year. I dedicate this year for more travel (and less shopping, I hope!). Vacations will also help me have a healthier mind. Going on an adventure and exploring new grounds is always a fun and healthy experience for the mind. New learning and understandings of different cultures is always a fun-filled and educational experience.
- Learn a new language - I am fluent in two languages and I know very, very basic German but I am determined to learn a new language this year. I will learn a new language this summer and I really cannot wait to go to school again! This is just a short course by the way and only happens once a week.
|Top and Shorts: Thrifted | Bag: Etienne Aigner | Flats: Debenham's|
MONEY AND CAREER
- Invest my money - I have always wanted to invest my money in something (stocks or bonds) and I have been reading quite a lot of business articles these days. I want to place my money not just in the bank but elsewhere it can grow bigger. I almost have the amount I need without sacrificing my lifetime savings and I am already eyeing a few companies I want to buy shares in. I am definitely making this happen this year!
- Start my own business - since early last year, I have been taking short courses for the business I want to open. My business is home-based as of the moment but I am already looking at some spaces where I can open my physical store. I will do this before the second part of the year starts (that will be June).
|Floral Bangle and Potion Necklace: Forever21 | Yellow Polka Dots Bangle: from my BFF|
- Meditation - the reason why I like Yoga a lot is because it helps me relax and relieves stress. Oftentimes, I find myself feeling stressed out and easily angered by the littlest things. Yoga gives me the meditation I need to feel relaxed and less pressured in life. I do Yoga at least twice a week for stress and anger management.
- Advanced clock - one of the things that people are annoyed about me is the fact that I am often late with appointments. I, too, am annoyed at myself for having no sense of time. This is why I have set my clocks in advance to prevent me from being late. This is an attitude that I have always wanted to change but is quite difficult to maintain especially since I sleep like a baby (as in I sleep like I am never going to wake up). But this year, I will try my hardest not to be late in any of my appointments. So far, I have not once been late this year yet.
- Wake up early - these past few days, my regular waking time is 8:30 AM. This is still quite early for some people, but I find it somehow late already. I want to start waking up at 7 AM so I can do more during the day. This is partly why I am sleeping early these past few days as well (around 11 PM) so I can get enough sleep and be able to wake up early.
- Finish tasks on time - I often lose focus whenever I am working which is why I often do not finish all my tasks on time. I will set a specific amount of time each day for me to finish all my work so I can have more time later to do leisurely activities.
- Proof read - as you all know I work as a freelance writer as of now. One thing that I never really developed when I was studying is proofreading. But working as a professional writer requires this skill. Most of the time I will end up with a bunch of revisions because of so many typographical and grammatical errors. Revisions is time consuming and will prevent me from becoming more productive because instead of writing a new article I am stuck with an old one.
What are your resolutions this year? :)