If you can't get to the stars, get closer to their copies. It may be impossible for me to see Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and Kim Soo Hyun in real life but at least there is Madame Tussauds in Hong Kong which can give me the almost-real-life experience of meeting my favorite stars.
It was my first time to visit a wax museum and I was honestly a bit scared (all thanks to House of Wax). But I knew that my Edward and my Do Min Joon were waiting for me so all my worries and fears were washed away with happy thoughts and images of fluttering butterflies. It was worth the trip.
I would advise getting there as early as possible though because the queue for the tram is crazy long. We had to wait in line for about an hour. The sun was high up in the sky and there was no shade. Bring an umbrella if you don't like burning your skin (like me) and a bottle of water. The queue for the "tram only" and "tram and Madame Tussauds" are different so make sure that you are on the right line. Once you get inside the tram entrance you still have to wait for some time as there is only one tram going up and down, and it can only accommodate so much. The queue going down the hill is also quite long but is shaded.
Guide to Madame Tussauds:
- via MTR: get off at Central Station and exit at J2. You will see signages along the way on how to get to The Peak Tram. When you get off the tram, there are signages you can follow to get to Madame Tussauds (which is inside a mall/building).
- via bus: you may also take bus 15C and get off at The Peak Tram station or bus 15 which will take you directly to Victoria Peak.
- There is no restaurant inside Madame Tussauds but the nearby buildings and even the building where the museum is located has a wide array of restaurants you can choose from. My friend and I opted to eat at Causeway Bay so am unsure what kinds of cuisines are offered at the peak. We did see a few restaurants but I can't remember what they were (I think I suffer from short term memory).
- You may purchase your ticket at the foot of the hill (entrance of the tram station). They offer a combo ticket (tram and Madame Tussauds) for 280HKD (if I remember correctly). Or you can purchase the tram alone or Madame Tussauds alone.
- You may also purchase your ticket online through their website at: https://www2.madametussauds.com/hong-kong/en/tickets-offers/ . They always have various promos and offers if you want to do more than visit Madame Tussauds at the peak.
- Beware of sellers you will encounter along the way to The Peak Tram. We saw quite a few and I don't know if the tickets they are selling are legit. They were also selling it for a few HKD more than the actual ticket price. To be sure, purchase only at their website or at The Peak Tram entrance.
- A few more tips:
- Make sure you have enough memory on your camera because you will want to take lots of pictures inside.
- You can get creative with your shots. Make a story. Create a scene. Feel like you are acting alongside your favorite stars.
- They look so real (as in their pores and makeup lines are so real) they can look freaky. Make sure you come with a friend so you don't drift off to another form of reality.
- The tram is worth the experience so I highly recommend going for the combo ticket.
- Have fun!
Have a lovely week ahead!
Wool Top and Thigh Highs: H&M | Skirt: Forever 21 | Boots from Korea
Bag: from mom | Necklace Accessorize | Watch: Swatch